I never really placed much energy or thought into the "99% vs 1%" debate. I think my lack of interest may be because I do not sympathize with or support either side--from what little I know, it seems neither side represents me.
If the 99% and 1% make one entity, what would it be? If it's "Main Street" vs "Wall Street," what about those of us who reside or work at neither figurative address?
I don't think the 100% whole, if you will, represents 100% of the people. Instead I believe both sides combine to form one group that shares one common, self-defeating human flaw--they care too much about money, material wealth and social status.
The 99% are discontented and the 1% are greedy. From my perspective, there is no real distinction between discontent and greed--both share the same path and destination; they are each causation and correlation of the other.
If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." ~ Epicurus
Are you part of "The 0%"? Here are some of the principles and philosophies that may confirm you are a Zero Percenter:
- To the 0%, the definition of wealth has little or nothing to do with money or materiality. To be financially rich is to have anything more than "enough."
- Life is not a zero sum game; there can be more than one winner. If someone earns more in one minute than you earn in a lifetime, so what?
- You won't identify yourself as part of "The 0%" because you don't care to be part of any defined organization. By virtue of not being 99% or 1%, you are 0%; there is no reason to announce to the world your alignment with any defined group.
- You have no complaints against any particular party or entitity because you believe that "everything is exactly as it should be" and therefore the attempt to change others is no different than attempting to fight against nature--it is foolish and self-defeating.
- There will never be any protests or public display of anger by The 0% because it goes against their contented nature. Making matters worse, protesting will only attract pretentious people looking to find some reason to protest!
- You prefer to be nobody because trying to be somebody is an act of ego.
- You know little of the 99% or the 1% because you--The 0%--are too busy enjoying life to read, watch or listen to the noise of mainstream media or annoying people around you trying to align with either side.
Perhaps I should start an organization called "The 0%:"
I could create a fancy logo and slogan; the 99% will join the organization, buy my merchandise, read my messages on my blog, website, Facebook page and Twitter account and thus propel the entity to become large enough that the 1% will sell it to the world with an Initial Public Offering; the 99% will buy more merchandise and shares of stock, the 1% will gain more financial wealth; the 99% will complain about the fortunes of the 1% (but continue to consume the 1% group's newly developed version of The 0% product); and the world will find which side to share sympathy so they may publicly communicate their ego-driven ideals and dogma through other products (i.e. Facebook, iPhone, etc) that are all owned by the 1%.